Saturday, March 30, 2024

Process and Production

 

One of the most difficult things about writing, for me, is continuing to write. On this blog alone I have said many things, and try not to repeat myself too often. The problem comes when I have to produce quantity rather than quality. I've a habit of refining things to what most would consider excess- that's why I have a book draft with a only hundred pages and a dozen sections but only... perhaps two of those sections are actually what I consider to be complete. I've also developed a predilection towards brevity- to the point of my words feeling hamstrung to my subconscious. They're there, they just won't come out. So I have to take enough of them away to be able to lift the remainder from their dwelling place, and set them upon the page where they belong.

Being one's own worst critic is essentially what a writer does, after all. The drive to overcome that internal urge to endlessly tinker and refine is what helps build a successful writer more than almost anything else. 

That and a giant pile of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment