Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Pop Quiz: Supermarket Edition

 

I went grocery shopping today- just got back in fact. Went to two different grocery stores.

Pak'N'Save, the low-income version of Safeway.
99 Ranch Market, the closest Asian Grocery to me.


Quiz is just one question: Which one of these sets of groceries do you think cost more?

Weight-wise, the 99 Ranch haul came back 5lbs heavier, about 17 vs 12. Think it mattered?

 

 

It didn't. Pak'N'Save was 34.43, and the 99 Ranch 32.54. Five pounds more and two dollars less.

Even scouring the shelves for sales (those bagels were BOGO, the pasta was $2.00 off per box, and both the grapes and tomatoes were at least half price), the pseudo-Safeway still dug deep into my wallet.

Rather more Pak'N'Gouge than Pak'N'Save, really.

99 Ranch though? I don't even usually look for obvious sales except on known expensive items (for those not in the cheap seats, that typically means meat), and I still almost universally come out ahead. Notice also that I didn't buy anything extravagant. Maybe the lunchmeat or the tteok might count, but that's a serious stretch.

I bought nothing for drinking, no spices, no herbs, no prepackaged meals, candy, chips, snacks, none of it. That all costs so much more I can't even try to justify anything like those.

It's depressing to look at how badly some communities are being taken advantage of when it comes to something as necessary as grocery staples, and it's a serious fight to find anything workable.

Small wonder so many people are struggling to make ends meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment