Sunday, July 9, 2023

Personal Fitness: I'm Here To Help

My perspective on it is more balanced than most, I would wager. Being a chef with background in culinary nutrition helps. Spending most of my life as a high-performing athlete has given me a great deal of academic and practical insight into exercise science as well. My black belts, varsity letters, and world records didn't earn themselves, after all.

Having had to deal with several severe internal and external injuries just as the plague began left me in arguably the worst physical condition of my entire life, and that has the potential to be a Problem. People who look to me for answers trust me to know what I'm talking about, and it never hurts to look the part. I have clients who bank on my physical fitness knowledge and expertise, carefully working to mimic every stretch, swing, and smooth movement I show them. Not that anyone who knows me would doubt it of course- but given how many over-toned fitness fakers, mediocre nutritionists, or "wellness coaches" are out there, I need all the help I can get to not get lost in the noise.
(As with everything of value, the better you are, the less likely you are to try noisy, blatant, widespread advertising. The risk of overcommitting and credibility loss is simply too great.)

While far from lucrative, the work remains my duty and obligation as an educator. To make the world a better place- by making better people.

So I must return my fitness level to where it once was, and bring the willing along for the ride. But as always, it will be a rough ride. Fitness is an ephemeral thing, something everyone eventually learns. For many it's a lifelong struggle, one that so rarely results in, well, results. To be sturdy and strong, fast and agile? It's hard, grueling, time-consuming work, best started young and never stopped.

While the first steps toward fitness are always the hardest, and often the most painful, they are necessary nonetheless.

If you want help though, I'll be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment