Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Birthday Musings


I had mine recently, and now I share an age (among other things) with Buck Godot. I didn't celebrate, really- though being invited to another friend's party over the weekend was nice since his birthday is the day before mine. (I'd have been invited regardless, but being the guy in my social circles who has the chafing dishes comes in handy sometimes.) 

As for my own, it was peaceful and quiet. I spent the day mostly at home. When my beau returned from work, he had a heartfelt birthday card and, in an inspired moment, a basil plant in lieu of a bouquet of flowers. Honestly delighted. Could not have been more pleased^^

Birthdays were never that big a deal for me growing up. Being in the summer meant I never got to bring in cupcakes or whatever for the class to celebrate with, and that everyone I knew was a long way off. Once in a while we tried parties, but most of them never panned out. Didn't exactly have a lot of friends growing up, either, so I hardly remember the lack even though I never really learned 'how to party', as it were.

In a lot of ways, birthdays are like Christmas. They aim to condense a year's worth of goodwill and kindness into a single day, and lose most of it in the process. Instead of that, why not do small things regularly? 

What makes people remember they're cared for? Repetition. A grand gesture in a time of need has little value if even minimal regular attention would have prevented that need in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment