Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Covering the Bases in Catering

 

One of the things about catering that most people don't get is 'What happens if the food runs out?' Logically, it's obvious. If the food is gone, it's gone. There isn't any more. 

But should there be? 

Unless there was a specified "All You Can Eat Buffet" notion, usually the answer is 'No.".

The standard method I use to defend against food running out is simply extra food. My catering platters are listed as serving a given number of people as entrĂ©e portions, and slightly less than double that number as side dishes. Those numbers are calculated by product weight- they're standard and reasonable to both casual and professional eyes, but the latter will probably recognize that they're what I call 'just in case' low. If the number of people listed are fed, there will be a few portions left over. That quantity buffer removes worry if unexpected guests show up hungry, or if an item is unexpectedly popular.

What about piecemeal items? Hors d'ouvres? Dumplings? Skewers? Same concept applies. If the client only paid for a fixed number, I'm bringing anywhere from 15 to 30% more than that.

No, they didn't pay for it. No, I'm not going to ask them about it, either. That's the hidden safeguard against an empty tray. It costs me money, but so does everything. I'm not going to begrudge additional expense for my own peace of mind. Typically, that's more than enough.

But what happens if something runs out anyway?
Then it becomes the client's problem to solve, not mine. It's their event, their budget, and their final approval of both the menu and the quantities. They got everything they paid for, and more besides. All reasonable precautionary measures were taken by me, and there is no blame to be placed.

Apropos of nothing, I have another catering gig to deal with this week. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment